Yue Fei Pavilion

The Pavilion of Yue Fei’s Portrait, Yue Fei Pavilion for short, is seated in front of the general’s bronze statue on a ridge of the central Snake Mountain east of the park. This pavilion is 574m ea...
Size:
Nomal
  • Nomal
  • Enlarge
  • Reduce


The Pavilion of Yue Fei’s Portrait, Yue Fei Pavilion for short, is seated in front of the general’s bronze statue on a ridge of the central Snake Mountain east of the park. This pavilion is 574m east of Yellow Crane Tower and 302 m east of White Cloud Pavilion. Yet the exact location is the eastern part of culvert of Wuchang Road. In 1983, the pavilion was declared as the Municipal Protected Historic Site.


Yue Fei, a famous general of Southern Song, ever guarded Ezhou (presently Wuchang) with stationed troops. Ezhou was taken as the base for all his three northern expeditions. The indignant-reading Red All over the River was composed in that period. Between the 1st and the 2nd months of the 11th Year (1142) of Shaoxing Period, Prime Minister Qin Hui incriminated Yue Fei to death on “a groundless crime.” Later Emperor Xiaozong absolved Yue Fei from the groundless accusation, restored his official and posthumously titled him “Wumu.” The general’s remains were relocated in a solemn manner. When Yue Lin, the general’s son, arrived at Ezhou, both militia and plebs greeted him tearfully, expressing their love for the wrongly slain hero. In the 6th Year (1170) of Qiandao Period, local people erected a patriot shrine for sacrifice’s sake. Later Yue Fei was posthumously titled “King Ezhou” in the 4th Year of Jiatai Period. And the temple was renamed “Temple of King Ezhou” (dubbed Yue’s Temple), beside which are transplanted cypresses and pines that Yue Fei had planted. In Yuan Era, the ruling class demolished the temple as a means of suppressing the Han people’s patriotism. Then until the 14th Year (1519) of Ming’s Zhengde Period, the temple (aka Temple of Loyal General) was built once more outside the East Gate of Wuchang. When it came to the 8th Year (1580) of Wanli Period, a shrine was erected inside the Binyang Gate. Unfortunately, the temple, those pines and cypresses were all ruined in the early Tongzhi Period.


When the Marco Polo Bridge Incident erupted in 1937, the Chinese nation was put at a life-or-death moment. Then Yue Fei became a model for the people to fight with Japanese invaders. A Wuhan-based counter-Japanese mass group discovered a bluestone stele carved with Yue Fei’s portrait dating back to the 10th Year (1580) of Ming’s Wanli Period and an ode made by Zhang Yixian native to Taihe (now Dali), Yunan from tile debris while cleaning the dilapidated Yue Fei Temple. As a result, they agreed that Hu Zhi, a member of Xinhai Revolution Wuchang Uprising Comrades Federation, took charge of funding, such that a pavilion including the stele was erected 8 m east of the current site. The pavilion got its name from the stele.

提示信息
系统将在4秒后自动跳转,如何不想等待,直接点击这里跳转

Tourist Service

T O P